Rain Barrel Rebate Program
Effective July 1, 2019
City of Modes water customers may be eligible for a rebate when they purchase & install an approved rain barrel. The rebate amount may not exceed $100 per City of Modesto water account. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Rain barrels conserve water and help prevent pollution. The rain barrels provide a free water source for outdoor watering and minimize the amount of water going into storm drains and ponding basins.
How to Apply
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- If you are not applying online, send completed paper application and the original sales receipt to one of the following:
City of Modesto Attention:Water Division - Rebate Program
PO Box 642
Modesto CA 95353
- Fax: 209-577-4983
A picture of the installed rain barrel must be included with the application. A City of Modesto representative may contact you to schedule an inspection to verify the proper installation and approve the rain barrel.
Program Guidelines and Participation Section
- City of Modesto customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Modesto.
- Customer accounts that are in good standing.
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Program applies to rain barrel purchases between 7/1/19 thru 6/30/20.
- Rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of the sales receipt.
- A City of Modesto representative may contact you to schedule an inspection.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and to schedule a final inspection.
Rain Barrels (qualifying for rebate)
- Homemade barrels do not qualify.
- Rain barrels must be at least 50 gallons in capacity.
- Rain barrels must be installed and connected to a gutter downspout within the Modesto City service area and at the location on application.
- Rebate only applies to above ground rain capture containers that do not require pumps and/or backflows.
- Existing rain barrels, barrel installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the purchase price of the new rain barrel.
- Rebates are limited to two (2) per utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020).
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification may be required.
- The original itemized dated sales receipt for the rain barrel is required (copies not accepted), Scanned original will be accepted via online submittal only.
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- Rebate application must be submitted within 60 days of sales receipt.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.